The European Smart Cities 3.0. initiative (2014) defines a “Smart City” as a city built on a “smart” combination of activities of independent and aware citizens, performing well in 6 characteristics (Smart Governance, Smart Economy, Smart Mobility, Smart Environment, Smart People and Smart Living).
The vision of partnership between the verticals in SRIP Smart Cities and Communities is to establish a globally recognised ecosystem of partners, permanently synergistically enhancing and linking their competence, as well as offering adequate capacities for R&D, production and marketing of globally competitive innovative high-tech solutions in all aspects of Smart cities and communities.
In line with this vision, the following strategic orientations have been defined:
1. Establishing a globally recognised ecosystem of partners, permanently synergistically enhancing and linking their competence in Smart Cities and Communities domains and technologies.
2. Providing for resources and conditions to minimize the time from design to market for globally competitive innovative high-tech solutions.
3. International recognition of “trademark Slovenia” in PmMIS (Smart small cities and communities).
The interconnections of different fields, relations with the ICT horizontal network and connectivity to other strategic development partnerships make the SRIP Smart Cities and Communities verticals a significant factor in placing Slovenia on the map as a green, active, healthy and digital region with top conditions for creating and innovating on a global level. The development will focus on mid- and high-tech niche solutions for comparably small urban environments, which are subject to different regulations and conditions affecting their development.
SRIP Smart Cities and Communities has 6 industrial verticals:
- Energy and utilities
- Mobility, transport and logistics
- Smart city ecosystem
- Urban life quality
First and foremost, the objectives will be aligned with achieving the targets of SRIP verticals’ focus areas and towards synergies with the other stakeholders to meet the global S4 (Slovenian Smart Specialisation Strategy) objectives.
1.) Objectives subject to the global objectives S4
1. Higher revenue: 3.5% average annual growth of total revenue and 5% annual growth of revenue from export.
2. Growth in company and employee count: 3.5% new companies annually, 1.5–2% new employees annually.
3. Average growth of companies’ investment potential: 0.25% annually until 2019, 0.15% after 2019.
4. Average growth of value added per employee: 3.5% annually.
5. 15% increase in the number of subjects involved with SRIP Smart Cities and Communities until 2022.
2.) Specific objectives
1. Developing globally competitive system solutions for smart cities and communities.
2. Launching at least two pilot projects.
3. Using the public administration reform and deploying smart solutions to promote entrepreneurship and penetrate the global markets.